3/17/10

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Of course I'm in an Irish Pub on St. Patrick's Day...or a reasonable facsimile of one here at Ottawa Airport - named for Canada's only assassinated politician - one Thomas D'Arcy McGee. Having been born in the Emerald Isle, I have never worn a funny hat or drank green beer or anything of the sort (at least what I can recall) on this day. However, I don't criticize those who do, as 'being Irish for a day' is better than ignoring us altogether.

I have just been reading Alastair Campbell's, The Blair Years, an highly enjoyable account of his days serving as Tony Blair's communications honcho and in particular the back-and-forth that led to the Good Friday Accord. That took a strong determination on the part of Blair, Bertie Ahern, John Hume, Gerry Adams and David Trimble to get it down after so many years of chaos and mayhem. So a belated hats off to them for a job well done....as well as to Canada's General John de Chastelain for his terrific accomplishment in de-commissioning the armaments of all the paramilitary groups.

Tiger Woods Goes to the Masters


I was interviewed this morning on CFRB 1010's the John Moore Show this morning talking about the decision by Tiger to re-join the PGA tour for the Masters. Faithful readers will know that in the aftermath of his 'crash', I had recommended he leave the tour in time to come back for ......the Masters! So I am glad to see his following some advice :)

I guess he decided, what the heck, I'm as low as I can go, and I may as well change the narrative back to the one thing I can do ....and that is golf!

So Tiger, welcome back!

Raise a glass for me...until next time!

He Wished for the Cloths of Heaven

"Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet,
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams..." 

William Butler Yeats

No comments:

Post a Comment